Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Refinished Bed Frame

We decided it was time to move my daughter out of her converted toddler bed into a big kid bed.  I have been keeping my eye out for a bedframe for her new bed and found a cute one at my local Goodwill for $29.00.

IMG_0575

IMG_0577

I loved the detailing on the bed.  I thought it was super girly for my little lady.  It is particle board with a laminate finish.  This is my first time working with something with a laminate so I searched the web for some tutorials.  There are a lot of great ones out there. 

To start, I scrubbed the bed down using a little soapy water to ensure a clean work surface.  I then used a smooth roller to apply two coats of Zinsser.  It’s the oil-based primer.  This is the product I got at Home Depot.  It is just under $9 for a quart.

Zinsser

The great thing about this product is that it doesn’t require you sand your project and can help to cover any funky smells that older furniture can have.  After allowing the primer to completely dry, I used Rustoleum spray paint in Jade to paint the frame.  I do have to say that I wasn’t super happy with the coverage I got with the spray paint.  I decided to use spray paint instead of painting with roller because of the detailing.  I think that there probably is a learning curve to applying spray paint evenly.  So I wouldn’t recommend using it for a large project until you have mastered the technique.  I think it works for my daughter’s bed because of the color and the use so I am happy with it. 

IMG_0588

The bedding is from the Circo line at Target.  The name is Love n’ Nature.

IMG_0593

Don’t you love the beautiful artwork on the wall behind the bed? We specifically put her bed up against this wall to try and hide the “art.”  I’ll get around to painting when I know both of the kiddos are out of this phase.

IMG_0584

Loving her “princess” bed!

Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!

Erin

1 comment:

  1. live the bed Erin!! super cute! marianna

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!