Monday, April 23, 2012

Fun, bright pillowcases!

 

IMG_0630

I’m in love with my sewing machine!  It is one of the easiest tools to help decorate my home!  I’m still learning but I managed to wing it with these pillowcases.  They are slipcovers so I can easily change them out when I get bored or with the season changes.

IMG_0629

To make them, start with one piece of fabric 1 in larger than your pillow.  For example, the red pillow is 20 in x 20 in so the front piece of fabric was cut 21 in x 21 in.  The second piece of fabric is the back and is open to allow for easy removal.  Cut this piece 1 inch taller and 3 inch wider.  So for the red pillow, it was 21 in x 23 in.  Cut this piece in half.  Your halves should measure 21 in x 11.5 in. 

 

             image

With the wrong side facing you, fold back 1 inch and sew using a 1/2 in seam allowance.  This 1 inch edge is represented by the red in the picture below.  Your pieces should measure 21 in by 10.5 in.  This will give the back of your pillow and nice finish.  Repeat for the other piece.

                    image

With the right sides together, pin and sew with a 1/2 in allowance all around the pillow.  Overlap your sewn folds when sewing around the length of the pillow.  Trim your corners and press open your seams.  Turn your pillowcase and your done! Once you figure out the logistics, you came make one of these in 30 minutes!

Here are some pillows I made to help brighten up my couch for spring.

 

 IMG_0637

Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!