Monday, January 23, 2012

“Healthier” Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

IMG_0561

My son is in love with pumpkin bread.  I decided to make some pumpkin muffins for him while he was at school and was a little sickened by the ingredients my cookbook; 3 cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1 cup of oil, etc.  So I decided to play around with my own recipe.

15 oz. pumpkin puree

2 eggs

2/3 c milk

2/3 c granulated sugar

1/2 c packed brown sugar

6 oz. apple sauce

1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

2 1/2 c flour

Chocolate chips

I beat together the eggs, pumpkin puree, applesauce, and sugars.  Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat until smooth.  Add milk, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.  Slowly add the flour and mix until combined.  Add the baking powder and baking soda.   Add your desired amount of chocolate chips.  Pour into a prepared muffin pan and bake in a 350* oven for 12-15 minutes. Yields approx. 32 muffins.

I used almost a whole bag of chocolate chips, but think that maybe half a bag would be better next time.  I individually wrapped some of the muffins in saran wrap and placed them in a freezer bag to be frozen and enjoyed later.

              IMG_0559

 

Thanks for stopping by!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!